I am in love with endbands. No, really. It was necessary for me to sleep last night, so I had to quit but I didn’t want to.
Also, did you know that if you hunch over something for six hours, you can potentially pinch a nerve and then your chin will become numb? Neither did I.
Anyway. Here’s the endband I’m shooting for:
(From The Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding by J.A. Szirmai)
I want that chevron pattern, but so far I’m getting used to the mechanics of it all.
First, I sewed the quires together thusly:
This is the cleanest sewing job I’ve done yet.
Then, I stitched a leather cord to the top of the bookblock, and using two needles each with a different thread color, I proceeded to weave in the colored portion of the endbands:
I’m not doing this the correct way, I realize. That is, the mechanics are correct, but I’m not using the right technique necessary to get the chevron pattern I’m shooting for. I’m not too concerned about this. I think I know what I’m doing wrong and will correct it. I also think that I need one cord per quire, as the two cords I’ve got make the sewing bunchy.
Here’s another view:
You can see the progress I’ve made from where I started (right) to where I’m at (left). It’s getting better all along.
At any rate, I’ve got two endbands on this book, so I will have more practice.
And in the meantime (thanks to Master Lorenzo), I’ve discovered how to do the flange cover attachment bit that I couldn’t figure out earlier. I’m moving along nicely.