[SCA] Aha! Progress!

It feels good.

Anyway. I’ve made some progress on the bookbinding front. So far I have cut and folded (and am pressing) all the pages for the test book. I went on an outing this past weekend to purchase leather for the cover and silk for the endbands. Unfortunately, Tandy only had cheap pig skin (they had lots of other leathers, yes, but the key word here is cheap), so I bought some to use until I’m confident with the technique. I imagine that it’s probably not terribly correct to bind an Islamic-style codex in pigskin.  So when I do the actual one, it will be in nice leather, probably a goat or sheepskin. In case you’d like to keep up with this process, here’s the list of things done so far:

1. Shopped for supplies. The full list for this book is: nice sketch paper, thick davey board (4-ply), linen thread, beeswax, bookbinder’s needles, a book press (or something heavy and flat to use instead; other books work well), Sobo glue (the period equivalent is rabbit gum or wheat paste, but I’m not okay with roaches eating the wheat paste and I’m not at a point where I can afford to mess with rabbit gum), a ruler, a cutting mat, thick twine (I use hemp for this), thin leather (1-1.5 oz, preferably not pig, though it was used in European bindings), some leather thong (for the endbands), scrap paper (for the binding), and I think that’s it.

2. Cut (tore) folios and grouped them into quires of 4 folios each. I have 12 quires. According to the Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding, books were between 72 and 150 folios apiece, but I don’t have paper that’s that thin at the moment. Actually, I haven’t researched the paper yet. I’m concentrating on the mechanics.

3. Put folios in the book press until I cut the cover boards.

4. Compiled a list of period sources of technique to supplement the book mentioned above. So far, most of them are in Europe (the available copies, that is). One was at UGA, but it has since mysteriously vanished from my WorldCat list. I will have to locate it again.

Next up is to cut the boards, then sew the folios together. I’m not certain how this goes, and when to attach the endbands. I will have to research it a bit more. The book I’ve got is very thorough; I’m sure it’s in there somewhere.

No knitting was done last night. I worked on another project instead, and occasionally looked at the knitting bag wistfully. If all goes well this weekend and I do the cleaning and straightening I need to do in good time, I’ll get some more rows in.

Actually, I’ll probably do that anyway, regardless.

About HappyGoth

By day, I'm a graphic designer. By night, I'm a knitter. I'm doing my part to keep Hotlanta stylish. I imagine that if you don't already understand the title of the blog, you're probably confused and perhaps slightly annoyed, but never fear - I do have a reason (and it's a good one). Having gone to hear Stephanie Pearl McPhee, and then having been inspired to blog about knitting, I found myself wondering what to call the blog. I recalled a conversation I had with Mouse and the Chicken Goddess about why it is a Bad Idea to anger knitters - this conversation was following SPM, aka the Yarn Harlot telling the assembled throng about Those Who Do Not Understand Knitting and Therefore Belittle It Much to the Chagrin of Others, or TWDNUKTBMCO, which is not the acronym she used but is the one I'm using because I forgot hers - that is, we are numerous and we all have very pointy sticks, easily transforming into an angry mob. Therefore, knitters = angry mob.
This entry was posted in Cool things, knitting, sca and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s