First, though, I got a lot done this weekend. I finished one of the Rivendell socks (it’s a little short, but not wholly uncomfortable), plied my first singles (woohoo!) and then sewed up the ghagra and patka for my garb. I stitched the ghagra 3 times, as the first time I stiched the drawstring opening closed, then the second time I had to undo it and cut some out, because it was overly voluminous. It’s still overly voluminous, but only by about 28 inches (okay, that’s a lot); I don’t really want to try to fix it again before this weekend. The patka belt/ghagra combo theory works well, though, and I shall post photos soon.
I also met the Chickengoddess’s family and went to Knitch with her and Jennie, who came over later while I sewed some more. It was great.
The choli, though… Well, the choli vexes me. I have been working on it for a month now and it is clear that I am not a seamstress. I have gathered together photos of people in modern backless cholis, to see if perhaps I can apply their construction to my period backless choli. It has a lot of gaping issues around the ribcage, and I think I’m going back to the fitted version because the flat version puckers and wrinkles oddly. Hopefully before the end of this evening I can come up with a working prototype, which I can use to make an actual first wearable version on Thursday. I don’t know when or if I’ll get around to making the 18 tassels I need, though I imagine I can do some that are not spectacular but will do for the time being. I can even do them on the car ride to RUM.
In the meantime, to help with my frustration, I’m continuing to knit the other Rivendell sock, now that I am done with the cursed wrap portion, and I can wash my handspun. I’ll take a photo and share soon.